"It has always seemed to me ever since early childhood, amid all the commonplaces of life, i was very near to a kingdom of ideal beauty. Between it and me hung only a thin veil. I could never draw it quite aside, but sometimes a wind fluttered it and I caught a glimpse of the enchanting realms beyond-only a glimpse-but those glimpses have always made life worthwhile."
This island has certainly charmed all of us. The weather hasn't been all that perfect, so our photos look a little washed out, but really, it's all "emerald, ruby and sapphire".
Today we went to the big smoke in PEI, the capital Charlottetown (all 40,000 people - just the right size, if you ask me). We had a splendid lunch of fresh oysters, crab cake, ribs (growing boy, you know!), pasta and dips - such a nice change from almost every other place in the Maritimes with the ubiquitous offerings of seafood, burgers, coleslaw and chips!
I should also add that we had an excellent coffee in Charlottetown, so we thought it a grand place.
We then had a lovely scenic drive:
Red iron-rich soil everywhere, neatly ploughed paddocks (fields?), quaint whitewashed houses, small copses of trees, I don't think I saw anything remotely ugly the whole time (maybe the Ripley's Believe It or Not attraction near Green Gables?).
An enchanting place, I hope we can return.


No comments:
Post a Comment