Our destination was Louisbourg, the site of the Fort of the same name, where the French established a town and fort centred on the cod industry. I've made sure we've taken a photo of each camp ground, so I'll include this one, even though it wasn't anything particularly special. However, it was run as a not-for-profit by the local traders association, it was spotless, and we were the only ones staying there (they'd only opened the day before) so I guess that's something.
I know I said I was sick of staying in town campgrounds, but this one stood apart from the others in town by being right next to the wharf where the fishing boats are:
And inevitably I was woken up by noise during the night, but I quite liked knowing that it was the boats heading out to sea - they were all gone the next morning - so that made all the difference (to me, anyway!).
We went out to the fort, which is a national historic site, and spent an hour or so there, but we had found out that it to be opened more fully the next day, so left it at that, intending to return the next day.
A visit to the lighthouse, the site of the 2nd lighthouse to be established in North America, was next. Can you tell that the weather has definitely taken a turn for the worse? We are all pretty cold and wishing we had warmer clothes (me especially - I forgot my coat!)
Dinner was at the only place open at the moment.
| The Lobster Kettle |
![]() |
| Note the enthusiastic adoption of that Canadian classic, the denim tuxedo! The kids and I are at a loss what to do about it. |
| (Note my bib for the lobster and the chowder for John) |


No comments:
Post a Comment