We paused a minute as we entered, too, to think of the Royal Melbourne Show. Many of you will know that our family is a big fan of the Show, and as we are missing it this year, it was only fitting that we headed off to the Ontario countryside for our share of all the fun of the fair.
As the website for the Richmond Agricultural Society says: "The agricultural fair is no longer the main source of information about improved agricultural practices and new technologies. However, with the development of urban and suburban communities near our villages, the fairs play an important role in exposing the general public to agricultural practices. As people move away from the farm, the Fair is a way to remind them about where their food comes from." I couldn't agree more.
I'd better start with the traditional fair/show offerings:
Quilts, knitting, cooking and lots of vegetables.
| (Chicken asleep on a pig snuggled against a goat) |
Some things were different too: a prize for Trail Mix - really?
(VERY low key!)
Isn't this quintessentially North American?
Finally, the kids had a treat each.
Horse "riding" for Cluny
and poutine for Silas
(fries with gravy and cheese curds for the unitiated) I have to confess that I had some too - it is a very moreish dish, so much better than it looks!



No comments:
Post a Comment