Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Canadians are so........

.... Nice. Helpful.*


I've mentioned before how surprised we were at our reception at Vancouver airport (and we're pretty sure it wasn't just for us).


Then there are the examples of people I have been in contact with in my search for housing and schools, who have responded with further assistance or tips, and going out of their way to help.  I got an email the other day from the vice principal of the school we expect to be enrolling the kids in, saying that she had driven past a house and noticed a For Rent sign - were we still looking?  I have been really touched by this kindness and thinking of others.


However I have to admit that we have also been making a little fun of the locals.  One day we asked for help getting a local shuttle bus service.  This prompted a call for help over the walkie talkie, resulting in 2 more very nice young people coming out of their office to give advice.  When we headed off in a slightly different direction (thinking that we may in fact check out something else instead) we turned around and yes, there were the very nice young people, who had followed us all the way, to ascertain whether we needed any more help, as they had noticed we were going off track and not following their instructions.


So now and again we make a joke about having a shower or something, pulling back the curtains, and lo and behold, there is the lady from the airport checking whether we need any more help. 


* Disclaimer: these first impressions are just that - I hope I don't offend anyone when I make these sweeping generalisations.  More cross-cultural observations to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment