Sunday, February 20, 2011

Rideau River

We've taken so many photos of the river, I thought I may as well include a gallery of them here.

Summer seems so long ago

Instead of canoeing on the river like this:


You can now ski!


or fish:






At first, it was just snow


and then we watched the river slowly ice over










And then the other day (during our heat wave!) it started to melt


You can see footprints where people have ventured across the river or along it, but so far we've resisted.  There's been a few drownings after people have fallen in the river or through ice, and it feels like a subject we are wholly unfamiliar with, so we've stayed clear.  However, I've promised myself that I'll take a stroll next to the bank, and after yesterday's melt, I'd better do it soon.  They are also starting to cut and blow up portions of ice as a Spring flood mitigation measure, so it will have to be in the next few days.


We've been so fortunate to live next to the Rideau.  There's always that lovely vista out the window, and we have so much light pouring through, I'm sure it's made a difference to our experience of winter.  No seasonal affective disorder in this house!

No comments:

Post a Comment