Saturday, January 15, 2011

Christmas preparations

Sorry for not posting anything for so long.  I did have some written as drafts, and even though I didn't post them before Christmas, as intended, I thought that I'd keep them as I wrote them.  You'll just have to pretend that it's mid-December.


The "holiday" season here began as soon as Halloween was over.  The pumpkins were thrown out/rotted/got eaten by squirrels and were replaced with colourful lights festooning trees and porches.


Maybe it's the weather - it's now dark by 4.30 and we've had a few decent snow falls - but I am finding myself very much an enthusiastic participant in the "Happy Holidays" sentiment.   I do love Christmas, which is full of old and new traditions (Myer windows, making my Nanna's pudding, Kens. Carols etc etc but I wouldn't dream of owning special Christmas china or linen, and our decorating efforts don't go much further than stringing some lights up outside, decorating our tree and buying an advent calendar.  


I haven't rushed out and stocked the house with Christmas china and decor, but boy, I'm sorely tempted!!!


I was in Canadian Tire* the other day (well, a few days this week actually) and was amazed at the aisles and aisles devoted to all things Christmas Holidays.  You can even get a "faux" fireplace to hang your stockings on.


* Canadian Tire is a big box franchise, similar to Bunnings, but with a larger range of stuff.  Much loved by the locals (and us).


In another store I nearly fell over when I saw a rack of Christmas capes - a whole new fashion story.  When I got closer I realised that they were in fact, Christmas tree skirts.  Silly me didn't know such things existed.




Then at Fabricland (surely that's self-explanatory) a woman was buying up little feathery owls and wooden trees to make her own little woodland tableaux.  Her excitement was so infectious that I almost bought some too.  (However common sense prevailed and I stuck with my original purchases of felt and fabric.)  The stores are full of figurines, buildings, mirrors which make skating rinks etc, so that you can make your own Christmas village.  


Unfortunately time and budget don't permit us the thrill of constructing our own little village, or popping on special bed linen, but we (in the royal sense) are making an effort:




Much sewing, paper cutting and needle felting is taking place, all in a rush because we leave for New York in just over a week.


The pudding is made, but not much progress on gift buying.  Maybe a Canadian Tire voucher?

No comments:

Post a Comment