Saturday, October 23, 2010

Fabric, fabric and more fabric

Warning: craft discussion follows.  Look away now if that frightens you!


Last week I was lucky enough to have the oportunity to help out at a big fabric sale:
The day before the sale I went to the school which is the beneficary of the sale and helped sort and fold mountains of stuff - most of it good fabric, but also some yarn, needlework supplies etc, and also lots of stuff that had sat in someone's cupboard for years "too good to throw out" which had now been donated.

Of course I didn't think to take a photo until almost all of it had been done, but this stage in the hall was groaning with piles of fabric when we started:






I wasn't needed the next day, which was the day of the market, so I just took myself along and browsed.  As well as the school's own stuff, 14 other vendors also came along to sell their wares, and what a treasure trove it was!

(The venue was great too - the Glebe community centre, in the next suburb from us, towards downtown.)







I'm not the best shopper in the world, and I know I missed out on a few gems (ie put it down, had second thoughts, turned around only to see someone else snap it up!)

My haul:
3 cashmere sweaters (some with holes)
thick bulky Lopi yarn from Iceland
beautiful handerchiefs
lovely quilting fat quarters
upholstery samples
some old linen and lace to make a pillow case
wool, enough for a dress or skirt for Cluny

I wonder if I actually make anything??? 









It was a great experience, not least being with people who fingered fabrics and oohed and aahed at various silks and notions (don't you just love that term!).  I won't promise, but perhaps I should post pics of finished projects here, just to prove that 
some of this stuff got used.  Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh
    wish I could have been there!
    The jumpers look yum.
    If there are too many holes you could felt them and turn them
    into a rug or scarf.
    I love notions
    your haul will be a point of discussion at kla in 2 nights time

    missing you
    fb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes exactly what she said!
    Love Stace

    ReplyDelete